Saturday 10 March, 2012

The day I dreaded

March 9th, 2012. I was dreading this day ever since Dravid got out, bowled off Pattinson at MCG for 10 after a scratchy 68 in the 1st innings. It was a minor, a very small fear that crept in, but it has been long since I felt insecure about Dravid. The whole world saw what followed. He was cleaned up in every outing that followed except one. I don't bother to remember these statistics of Dravid. The days that followed Day 1 of SCG were the first when I really stopped following a cricket match intently. Especially, matches involving India. Surprisingly, matches that featured Rahul Dravid. I was getting a little fearful if I had started losing trust in my hero. I had subscribed to sms updates from cricinfo's twitter feed, they never failed to let me know how Dravid was getting alarmingly consistent at getting bowled out.
I can't imagine, for the life of me, how the 13-year old me started loving a man who spent most of his time at the crease ducking and and leaving and dead-batting ahead of the God of a cricket-crazed country. How did the sight of this taller figure offer me more composure than the Little Master? I will never know an answer to this mystery. Now, thousands would like to debate Dravid vs Tendulkar, but not me, I don't belong there. The day Tendulkar decides to retire; I will have a lot of fond memories to cherish, I will look on at the press conference, with a sad smile, maybe a happy tear or two will trickle down, thinking of those lustrous straight drives. He will not make me want to cry for him. But this man who has retired today, makes me want to cry. He makes me want to think he deserves the tears.
Now, its this thought; just this thought: what on earth is going to have me sit back relaxed when India are 2/1 or 14/1 or 60/1 or 148/1? The familiar figure that strolled out into the middle so impeccably with a grim determination on the face that was as assuring as a patronus chasing away the dementors is a scene that I can no longer see?
I gave up arguing with those who did not understand about his strike rates. I gave up the verbal tussles that broke out whenever anyone called the ducks and the leaves and the dead bats boring. What did they understand about the beauty of test cricket anyway? What did they know about surviving and patience and winning sessions? Winning the little battles that eventually lead to winning the war and conquering?
Why oh why do all good things have to come to an end
This has not really sunk in. This will sink in and sting when India are one down in a test match next time. He could have so easily allowed himself a farewell series. This is what he had to say about it though; "Just to keep playing for the sake of playing just one Test match, I didn't think was right" That, pretty much tells you everything that he is. Tells you why I have had no bigger obsession since 1996. Tells you why I simply cant revere anyone more in the years to come.
The Champ. The Rockstar. The Legend! Even though a Thank you won't ever suffice, I can't think of anything else to say. Thank you Jammy!!

No comments: